Elba Public Libary through the Public Library Association’s Inclusive Internship Initiative Program
The Elba Public Library was selected to participate in the Public Library Association’s Inclusive Internship Initiative (III). This initiative offers a paid, summer-long internship to a high school student at the library. Through III students are introduced to careers in librarianship. We are currently recruiting for a motivated, public-service minded high school student who will enter their eleventh grade, twelfth grade or first year of college in Fall of 2021. The intern will work up to 35 hours a week for 10-12 weeks with the primary objective of developing a project that will strengthen connections with the Library’s community and encourage diversity and inclusion. The library staff will provide guidance for the intern’s project, offering a range of goals that can support both professional exploration and meaningful community service. The project will have immediate benefit to the intern, Elba Public Library, and the community.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Under the guidance of the Library Director, the intern will:
- Design and deliver a connected learning project that meets the library’s needs, fits with the current long range plan goals, and is of high interest to the intern. Examples of projects developed by past III interns at other public libraries include: Outreach to teens held in local temporary detention center, Library resource booklet for at-risk youth, how to get your GED, local history digitization project, and translation of library policy and rules documents.
- Work up to 35 hours per week in the library to complete the project as well as assist staff in day-to-day library operations by helping the public, community engagement, assisting patrons in finding materials, assisting check in or check out of materials, shelving items, answering the phone in a polite and courteous manner and other duties as assigned.
- Participate in weekly virtual learning and networking opportunities organized by the Public Library Association.
- Complete a short bi-weekly survey.
- Share their successes, challenges, and opportunities across the III cohort.
- Interns must be entering their junior or senior year of high school or have graduated from high school but not yet begun college.
- Minimum GPA of a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Must be flexible, independent, and able to communicate professionally and effectively.
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher, school official or community leader is required.
Student must be available for Kick-Off event June 21- 22, 2021 and Wrap-Up event September 25-26, 2021.
Students who are bilingual in English and Spanish are preferred.
Public Library Association’s Inclusive Internship Initiative Program
HOW TO APPLY
Email the library for an application packet – firstname.lastname@example.org
Or come by the library and pick up an application packet.
Or call 334-897-6921 with questions.
Applications open – April 22, 2021
Last day to turn in applications – Friday, May 7, 2021
Last day for interviews – Friday, May 21, 2021
Intern Announced – Monday, May 24, 2021
Intern starts work at library – Wednesday, June 2, 2021
Kick-Off event – June 21-22, 2021
Intern Project due date – TBA
Wrap-Up event – September 25-26, 2021